Re: historic recording materials

After dinner toast at Little Menlo
Spoken by: Arthur Sullivan, composer
Introduction by: Col. George Gouraud
Record format: Edison yellow paraffine cylinder
Recording date: October 5, 1888
Location: Little Menlo, London, England
ENHS object catalog number: E-2439-7
** Transcript of Arthur Sullivan's message to Edison upon introduction
to the phonograph:
" . . . For myself, I can only say that I am astonished and somewhat
terrified at the results of this evening's experiment -- astonished at
the wonderful power you have developed, and terrified at the thought
that so much hideous and bad music may be put on record forever. But all
the same, I think it is the most wonderful thing that I have ever
experienced, and I congratulate you with all my heart on this wonderful
discovery."

http://www.nps.gov/archive/edis/edisonia/audio/EDIS-SRP-0155-14.mp3

--
Stephen A. Carter