Acronyms

YMMV:

My wife and I grew up in America; we both left the country for prolonged
periods (1968-85 in my case) but returned to live there 1985-95. We are
both highly (if not over-) educated; we both read daily newspapers, _The
New Yorker_ et al. My wife is superlatively retentive of what she reads.
But a few months ago, when I mentioned to her the phrase "Your mileage may
vary" -- saying that I thought its addition to the repertoire of
catchphrases or verbal shorthand filled a useful gap entertainingly -- she
was baffled by it.

I now think that YMMV -- unlike IMHO, FWIW, or even AFAK, which compress
phrases that should be familiar to every competent English-speaker
including non-natives -- is bound to a specific culture and should be
avoided unless you know whom you're sending it to.

Just my 2 cents' worth (another phrase I'd be sorry to see compressed into
an acronym).

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel