Re: Mention of XY/OS2 in Nexis search -Reply

a specific application built on the new code base. This is a
comprehensive, sophisticated estate planning application to be released
by the Thomson Company toward the end of the year. We will be
delivering final code in a couple of weeks.

We expect bug fixing etc to take another 30 days or so, and therefore we
will be finished with that project at the end of October.

The next step is to add a few more of the generic word processing
features not needed for their release (although it contains most of
them) and we will be ready for general testing. We could begin that
process now, except we simply can't support an additional, general
purpose beta at the same time, since the one we are doing includes
testing of the application as well as our underlying product.

We are really pleased with the product, and I hope others will be as
well. Its capabilities are very interesting and the interface is quite
a change from anything you have ever seen associated with a XyWrite
product. Of course, it still has everything it always had.

We are not yet happy with all aspects of its performance, but by the
time it gets in users' hands I am sure it will be acceptable.

I think it is important for you all to understand precisely what we
intend this product to be. While it can be used strictly as an editor
as you have used it before, that is not what it is primarily designed
for. Instead, what we have created is a powerful set of tools enabling
the development of applications combining data and text, producing
dynamic, intelligent documents of any type. These applications may be
standalone, networked or even server-based dispensers of dynamic text.
This can include traditional documents, HTML or other types of
electronic output.

Because of that focus, you will find a lot of new things in this product
which may or may not be of particular interest to the traditional
XyWrite user. Nevertheless, we have preserved our text editing mode and
added a number of enhanced capabilities including true collapsible
outlining, journalling (a configurable, stored record of every action
taken in a document), undo/redo, giant file capabilities, text object
libraries, 36 windows and more.

K.