Re: Flat Panel Displays -- the sequel

At the same time, I was never able to get an acceptable display
on their ThinkPad A-series laptop, running Xy under W2K. But I
never really had the time to mess with it, and would also need to
chart all the key scancodes anyway, in order to arrive at a
workable result. (Separate problem.)
Jordan, you don't say if you are trying to run full screen or not. Since
Xy4 is a 640x480 product, there will always be problems running it full
screen on an LCD, since an LCD CAN NOT CHANGE RESOLUTION; it only has its
"top" resolution, and mimics lower resolutions by aliasing in additional
pixels. This will be more or less convincing, depending on the method used.
On my 1600x1200 15" Dell laptop screen, I find the 640x480 faking painful,
though no doubt the ghastly, fuzzy font they use could be changed if one
only knew how. (On my IBM 1024x768 Thinkpad, the full screen 640x480
mimicing was more effective.) In Xy4's graphics mode, things are no better.
(Moreover, if you go full screen from a windows box that is set to more
than 25 lines, the box returns to only a 25 line setting and you have to
quit and restart to get back to where you were. But only an idiot (such as
myself) would want to do such a thing.)
There is, however, the separate issue of running Xy4 in a Window under NT,
2000, XP, etc. This can always be effective, _provided_ that you go in and
select the right screen font, usually a large size of Lucida Console
though, on a 1024x768 screen, I prefer the canned size of Courier.
What I don't understand is why the DOS boxes, using TT fonts, seem to be
restricted to Lucida Console. Why not Courier, which is in many respects a
preferable font?
I don't understand why you would need to do anything special with the key
scancodes. Perhaps I've been luckier with my hardware?