meall xy

 Carl,

     You are probably correct in saying that the core code you sent me for merging files is not a complete program, yet it does serve a purpose of merging files from a directory, where the files, the names of which have nothing in common with each other. As I understand Meall, the file names must be related in some way, for it to function such as chap1.txt, chap2.txt and so forth.
    When I did use Meall, I find that it does not show the tab spaces, but only the ascii character for it, (the round ring). This character does not expand into a tab space even when ctrl-9 is used to expand the text. Does this suggest that there is a flaw in the program, or it requires some adjustment.

 Morris.