[Fwd: Nota Bene Questions]

Hi:
Ref to NB questions, here is the set of questions
I posed to NB and the response from Steve Semple -
hope it helps
Dick Giering
--- Begin Message --- Dear Mr. Giering: Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your questions. My responses are interspersed below. Steve Semple ssemple@xxxxxxxx ----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Giering To: Nota Bene ; TechnicalSupport NOTA BENE ; Carl Distefano Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 3:16 PM Subject: Nota Bene Questions > Dear Mr. Semple: > Per our discussion this AM, I am sending copies > of the two messages I have sent to > email@xxxxxxxx. As you will note, some of the > questions, while phrased somewhat differently, are > about the same subject (XPL, KBD and START). As I > indicate on one of the messages, I'm sure there > will be additional questions as I begin to use the > product. > The two messages are: > Subject: Mota Bene System > Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 14:35:01 -0600 > From: Richard Giering > > To: email@xxxxxxxx > CC: Carl Distefano > > Gentlemen: > I have just installed the version of NOTA BENE > and want to begin using it. There appears to be > NO documentation with the package!!! In order to > attempt to make use of the "XYWRITE like" package, > I need documentation. Specifically, I start with > the following questions (more will occur as I > begin to use): > 1. Is there a manual or other documentation? If > so, how do I order it and why is it not included? As we discussed, there is no other documentation other than that which is accessible via F1 from within Nota Bene for Windows. For a printable form of this documentation, see the independent web page located at http://users.moscow.com/rpenticoff/nb/helpfiles.htm > 2. What are the specifications in the contents of > START.INT? How is that file edited? Right now, our START.INT is empty. You should be able to use your XyWrite version of START.INT by copying the contents of it into the NB START.INT, saving the file and then launching Nota Bene for Windows. > 3. How many windows can be employed (espicially > from START.INT)? 36 is the limit. > 4. Is there something that has the impact of the > DFL (XYWRITE name) file? There is an NB.DFL file in your nbwin\users\default folder. > 5. I have a significant number of XPL programs - > one especially is extensive in that it converts > information received from a form on my web site to > an editable HTML document. Will ALL - I repeat > ALL - XPL programs continue to work? If psssibly > not, what are the differences? Yes, all of your XPL programs should work. > 6. What about a KBD file? I make extensive use > of the Jump and/or execute functions of CTRL > keys. The KBD is loaded as part of the START.INT > file? In your nbwin\users\default there is a xywrite.kbd file which you should make probably use. That is, you should call this file from your nbwin\users\default folder and customize it by adding to it those enhancements currently in your original XyWrite keyboard. Once your customizations are complete, you can access the new keyboard from within Nota Bene by clicking Tools, Keyboards and selecting xywrite.kbd. You may also LOAD keyboards directly from the command line with load *.kbd. To assist you with the mapping of keys, there are some helpful files which should be called to the screen and/or printed. These files can be found in the nbwin\users\default folder and are labeled: xywrite.key, nb-xy.key and xy-xref.key. These files each show a grid which indicates exactly what each key combination is intended to produce in Nota Bene based on using our default NB.kbd or Xywrite.kbd keyboard files. Currently all of the Ctrl functions are hard coded, we will be making the following soft coded key combinations in future releases of the program: Ctrl+F, Ctrl+F4, Ctrl+O, Ctrl+S, and Ctrl+T. > 7. What are the function keys for SAVEGETS? I > use an extensive menu of pre-stored SAVEGETS (they > are loaded as part of the START.INT file). SAVEGETS is refered to as Phrase Libraries in Nota Bene for Windows. I suggest you consult our online Help by searching for Phrase Keys in the index and reading the documentation there. There is no menu support for using Phrase Libraries at this point; it is all command line driven. > 8. Your ad indicated some support for HTML > functionality. What is this support and how is it > used? Nota Bene files can be exported to HTML format by using the Save as option accessed from the File menu. Nota Bene does not support the importing of HTML files. > As I indicated above, there will be many more > questions as I begin to replace my use of XY4 for > Windows (assuming I do). > Dick Giering > > > Subject: Questions > Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:01:12 -0600 > From: Richard Giering > > To: Nota Bena > CC: Carl Distefano > > Gentlemen: > I am beginning to try using NOTA BENE as a > XYWRITE user. I am beginning to print out the > various HELP pages to generate my own manual, BUT > I find a lot of information not "findable" at > least based on my use of the SEARCH function. I > have the following questions (Carl: Would the > XYWRITE list subscribers be interested in my > posting this type of query to the list and, if so, > do you know if NOTA BENE is a subscriber?): > 1. Where or what are the definitions of the > function keys? It would appear that they do NOT > mimic XYWRITE. How do I find this definition on > the HELP SEARCH? > 2. Programs and program files: Are ALL repeat > ALL of the XPL function commands and items the > same? If not, what portion of programs are > different? > 3. The previous question especially applies to > the NBSTART.INT file. Especially: can the > XWSTART.INT be used interchangably? > 4. Where does one find information for placing > programs onto SAVEGET keys? Are there any > restrictions? > 5. Where does one find information about the use > of CTRL keys? Is there a HELP on the generation > of and restrictions for KBD files? Can the XW.KBD > fille be used and imported in the NBSTART file? > 6. Where does one find information on the makeup > and use of the header(s) for the various page > formats (e.g. draft vs graphic)? Including the > makeup of the command line (from the bottom of the > screen to the top? > I'm sure there will be many more questions as I > attempt to move to NOTA BENE. > Dick Giering > > I will await your response. If it is needed, I > will be glad to furnish a copy of any of my > XYWRITE files, including the START, KBD and the > PGM (especially the fairly large file for > converting from an Internet form response). > Thank You > Dick Giering >
--- End Message ---