Re: Xy III & faulty memory?

≪ xyW3 doesn't allow [nested conditionals]. ≫ --me

≪ Nonsense. You gotta be kidding! I just tried the
following test routine in two different versions of Xy3+,
and nested conditionals work as well there as they do in
Xy4. Which is to say, perfectly! I'll also attach the
routine to this msg in UUencode. (You ARE kidding, right?) ≫
--Robert Holmgren

Me? Kid?!?

You told me a couple of years ago that you thought nested
conditionals worked in late xyW3. I of course hastened to
convert some if statements in working code. Simply didn't
work and I saw no reason to revisit. I'll try again one
of these days.

≪ Here's orthodox code, which RUNs in any version:

	{greater_than}0>

When, pursuing [Shawn Harrison's] strategy, I reduce it to

then I get "Mismatched [logical or numeric] operands"
in every version I try: v3.57, v3.58-B, v4.017, v4.12.
Even if I suppress the error by turning off all error
trapping, it bombs. ≫ --Robert

xpl is way more persnickety about sx'd values than
sv'd, and even if you convert {sx01,{is01}} that
fragment bombs. But, as I suspected, as a test
of whether a sv'd {is01} exists, {if{is01}} does
grudgingly prove true in xyW3.57, even if {is01}
is numeric and you test it as {pv01}:

	{sv01,1}BC {if{is01}}|{is01} exists|{ei}{lb
	}{if{pv01}}|{pv01} exists|{rc}{ei}{lb

	}{if{is01}}{PR{is01} exists}{rc}{ei}{lb
	}{if{pv01}}{PR{pv01} exists}{rc}{ei}{lb

	}{if@not{is02}}{PR{is02} doesn't exist}{ei}BC {ex}

xyW is so eager to get the msgs to the CMline in the
first set you don't see presumed Mismatched operands
prompts flash by. In the second set, you must wait
patiently for those error prompts to clear before you
can read user prompt confirmation that the s/g exists.
It's another insight into xpl, but has no practical
use I can think of since the final test provokes the
consequence you'd expect.

What the heck is v3.58-B? Did it fix the bugs v3.57
has that v3.56 didn't? ... Ciao. 	--a

section 1 of 1 of file #test < uuencode 95 (v40) by R.E.M. >

begin 644 #test
MKG-V,#$L,:__@1^N:6:N:7,P,:^OLWMI&ES='.SKF5IKZYI9JYP
M=C`QKZ^S>W!V,#%](&5X:7-T<[.N&ES='.O
MKG)CKZYE::^N:69`;F]TKFES,#*OKZY04GMI nyc
http://www.escape.com/%7Eyesss/_xypro.html ===========================