Re: FW: RE: dumb questions how to install

Alas, it's not so easy. It seems this is the way it always is; somebody who understands computers says it's easy...and I'm sure it is...but it never works for me.
I sure understand that.
I tried the install utility, TTG I believe??...no go. It just errors in a half dozen ways I have no clue how to fix.
You shouldn't use an install utility. I see that the zip file on the site I sent you to is one that uses an install utility. Sorry. Here are the exact steps to follow (all that you type can be upper or lower case--doesn't matter). 1. Put the attached file HUMAN.LOG into the directory you want Xy III+ to reside in (e.g., make a directory called Xy3). 2. Put the attached file STARTUP.INT into that directory. 3. Download 358-b.zip from: http://www.xywrite.com/ttg/misc/misc.htm 4. Put the zip file into the same directory and unzip it, to produce 358-b.exe. 5. Rename (in DOS or via Explorer) 358-b.exe as: editor.exe (this is an optional step). 6. In DOS, type editor.exe (or 358-b.exe if you didn't rename it). That should do it. If you have .PRN and .KBD files, and other accessory files, put them into your XyWrite directory and add a call to them in STARTUP.INT (if you know how to do that--if not ask here). My steps above are based on the instructions from XyWWWeb--your main online resource for everything XyWrite, at: http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/ Specifically, the steps are based on their page: http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xylite.shtml --Harry
I cannot find a $&##@@!!!! editor.exe file anywhere in the downloadable files from the site. Yes, you're right, I do remember now...all you really HAVE to have is the #(%$@@!!! editor.exe file. So, why the @^@!!! is it so hard to find at the forum site?????? It's not in the folder with all the other downloadable files. It's not in the install download.... can you tell me where to find it? The #&#@!!! 's are just kidding, you understand. But I still can't find the editor.exe to get this thing running, and the install utility won't run. ???? Best, Charles -----Original Message----- From: "Harry Binswanger" Sent: Friday, March 4, 2011 6:33pm To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: Re: FW: RE: dumb questions how to install Gee, you questioners are way overcomplicating things. Let me address each issue. 1. You can run Xy in XP, Vista, or Win 7 (at least in 32 bit Win 7)--no emulation required. Or put it this way, MS supplies the needed emulation (ntvdm.exe), which is transparent to the user. 2. No "installation" is required--just copy at least editor.exe to the directory of your choice. More accessory files (.KBD, .PRN, Startup.INT) are better, but I'm pretty sure EDITOR.EXE alone will run. 3. EDITOR.EXE *is* XyWrite. There is no substitute. Get EDITOR.EXE from here: http://www.xywrite.com/ . Look down the page for "install files." 4. To print via USB, you run the "NET USE" command at a DOS prompt. E.g., NET USE LPT1 \\Lita\HP4050 /Persistent:YES That assumes the computer the USB printer is attached to is named "Lita" and that the printer name is HP4050. To find the names in your case, consult Properties under "My Computer" and Properties of the Printer under Printers and Faxes (be sure you go to sharing and get what's listed as "Share name"--get it character for character, nothing less will work.) "Persistent:YES" is optional. And I have never found anything case-sensitive in NET USE. To check that you got the printer assigned correctly (which almost never works the first time, due to not having everything just right) type NET USE with no arguments, and it will show you what's recognized by DOS as connected to what. Happy XyWriting.
-----Original Message----- From: charles@xxxxxxxx Sent: Friday, March 4, 2011 5:49pm To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: RE: dumb questions how to install Hi guys, dumb questions continue: I cannot find an editor.exe file in the files I downloaded. I do find X2D.EXE and D2X.EXE....would somebody tell me what these are, and the difference between them? When I run them, I do get a xywrite screen for a few seconds, which then disappears, but I'm not able to get a command typed in to do anything before the screen disappears, and the screen is only half the page. (I'm running Windows XP in an old Panasonic Toughbook laptop). Do I need to create a virtual PC first in order to run one of them? Best, Charles -----Original Message----- From: charles@xxxxxxxx Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:54pm To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: dumb questions how to install Hi, I'm sure this is somewhere in the archives, but I can't figure out how to find it... ...if someone could direct me to the appropriate archive, I'd really appreciate it. I am running Windows XP in a Panasonic Toughbook Laptop; I need to run Xywrite III. However, it would be good if I can keep XP running at the same time, in order to access internet, send files via wireless routing to printer for printing, etc, at the same time I'm using Xywrite III... ....so, I THINK I need to create a virtual PC...so I can run Xywrite III under DOS and Windows under XP at the same time??? I used to be Xywrite and XPL fluent, and I can get all that back, but I am clueless about how to do this multi-platform thing in the same laptop... Best, Charles
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx