RE: Xywrite -- missed chance

----Original Message Follows----
From: Brian.Henderson@xxxxxxxx
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Xywrite -- missed chance
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:29:56 -0700

This was a much more pleasant fantasy before you brought this ugly reality
into the picture, Mike. = :>)

    I'm an awful person, I know.

If you're going to bring Unix into the picture, then all bets are off.
I'm talking about creating an application that's evolving in a MORE
user-friendly direction. As far as I can tell, Unix lovers like Unix
BECAUSE it's so difficult. Working in that environment is somewhat
like programming continuously...on the fly! Sure, you'd have smoother
sailing once you fire-up Xywrite...but

    Actually, none of the existing unix word processors really
    please me. There are things I do like about Linux/FreeBSD
    for programming purposes, but not for writing. And to tell
    the truth, I don't do much with XyWrite's programming
    language, other than customizing the keyboard and tinkering
    with dictionary files. Out of the box, so to speak, it's
    worked beautifully for me for writing letters, technical
    memos and user guides, novels, etc. I'm tempted to say it's
    wired into my nervous system or something, but in fact I've
    found using it almost intuitive for as long as I've been
    using it -- which is about 17 years now.

OK, I'm just going to come right out and say it...I love Xywrite SO
much that I want the whole world to be able to use it. And as things
stand today the "whole world" means a "windows-type" world.

    That means a "point-and-click" world, which isn't what
    _I_ really want to deal with.