Re: Reading beyond end-of-file

For the sake of historical depth and repeating history:   :-)

** Reply to message from Caballero mailto:Carlo.Caballero@xxxxxxxx on Wed, 17
Sep 2003 23:53:38 -0600 (MDT)

> ... XyWrite 4 has a setting (d 1A=1) that > neutralizes EOFs in the middle of a file.
> So, using Xy4, I simply opened the maimed Xy3 file in Xy4 after resetting the default;
> removed the phantom, reset the default, and saved the open file under a new name.

"Reset the default" being the important thing.  Leaving 1A=1 for more than a
single operation with a purpose, like this one, is a really bad idea -- you can
easily wreck your Help files, document information, etc.  Another solution
which removes the *first* 1Ah (Ascii-26) character encountered in a file, is:
  DEL26
There's no risk if you use this command.  If there's more than one 26 char in
the file, just keep reissuing the command, recalling the document
(RECA) after each iteration, to see what end-of-file text, if any, has
been revealed (errant EOF chars may be your problem... but then again, maybe
not)