Re: Hellp! Helpp!

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, N. Sivin wrote:

> Thanks to the experimental daring of Robert Holmgren, we have more bad news
> for you. I already announced that if a message to the list contains the
> word "help" anywhere in the first 5 lines, it will go to the help desk
> rather than the list. A bounced message from Robert makes it all too clear
> that putting it in quotation marks does not affect its dread fate. Verbum sap.

Do I have this right? So a mesg to the list containing the 4-letter
word 'help' in the first 5 lines is deflected to the help desk just
in case 'help' means 'Help!' Does that mean it will never appear on
list? or only that it wiil be delayed? If the latter, how long
(typically)?

I ask because I subscribe to another list that could damn well use
a scheme to divert multitudinous misdirected sub/unsub mesgs for
personal attention by the moderator. (That list doesn't use Listserv
but another program -- Mailserv?) I've suggested a filter but only
got flamed for the presumptiousness presumed.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle

PS If the help desk, or Nathan, wishes to incubate this mesg overnight
I won't object.