codepage translation between VDosPlus and Windows

Some time ago I set up Vdos with code page 1252 and then using a special
1252 font that was modified for me by Kari, I could move text between
Windows and XY4 seamlessly in English or French.
I haven't needed to use that facility for some time, but when I tried to
copy some French text from a browser in Windows 7 to XY4 under Vdoslfn
today it didn't translate correctly. It would only work if I set the
code page in VDoslfn to 850 of 437. I also have an old VDos
installation and a new VDosPlus installation and both seem to behave in
the same way.
Is VDos... now performing some translation of its own? I need to know
what is happening because if I switch all my settings to CP 850, then
the files that were written using CP 1252 are corrupted.

Paul