Different bytes same result

Can someone help with this? For a certain application, I need to do a
Change Invisible of some (I think) UTF8 characters to HTML-acceptable ones.
Specifically, I need to change the three-byte sequence E2 80 99 (hex) to an
apostrophe and the sequence E2 80 94 to an em-dash, or at least to two hyphens.
The problem is that Xy treats them as identical. I've prepared two files,
one with just the single byte 94hex and the other with the single byte
99hex and Xy's SEarch treats them as the same. I checked with LIST.COM and
they are 94 and 99, but Xy can't distinguish them.

What to do? Is it maybe a codepage issue?

Any help greatly appreciated.