Re: Tilde again

  Said Patricia M Godfrey:
> I hesitate to contradict anyone so knowledgeable as Robert Holmgren,
> but his statement that "under Win32, Xy4-DOS cannot display DIRectories
> of 8.3 (short) subdir names that contain tildes, unless that directory
> is the *current* directory" doesn't prove true on my (Win98) system.

  Robert-- I second that for WinNT. I think any problem is not the tilde
but an active *archive* attribute on the folder or a file therein.
  My Xy4dos directory is c:\dos\xy4. Startup.int puts me in d:\work.
>From there I have no trouble accessing three levels of subdirs with
tilde-truncated names, starting with c:\progra~1.

  On boot-up, autoexec.bat runs a program that removes all archive bits
on all folders and files on all drives. My backup(x).bat routines also
call the program as the last step. I use ATTR.COM -- an old DOS app (a
mere 3kb) that works on both my main OS/2 machine and the NT box. It's
available free in the Simtel/DOS/utilities section: ATTR220.ZIP.
  -otis
Business Week