Re: Minitrue vs. global changes in XyWrite

You can SEarch multiple files with a single command, but how do you
replace? Moreover, if I pen a file found by the SEarch command
(se filemask/search$/) and make some replacements with CI|CV, func EN
EditNext
doesn't open the next matching file in the mask (it returns "No more
files" --
on my system, anyway, both Xy3 and Xy4). So how exactly are you achieving
this?

Minitrue is really pretty good. But how often do you make global changes
multiple files? In my case, next to never. If all we're doing is
changing line
endings (DOS==>Unix, Unix==>DOS), that's easy enough to do in
XyWrite.

For several years now I've made heavy use of a program I did in XyWrite
for making global changes (change invisible) throughout multiple files.
Believe it or not, we've found this ability to be very useful here in
book-publishing land. The program concept is simple: (1) Give it the
changes you want; (2) pick the files you want the changes made to
(actually, deselect the files you *don't* want changed). That's it. You
just run the program and it gives you a "template" of CI statements,
which you fill in; then it gives you a list of the files in the
directory, from which you deselect files you don't want touched. You can
make multiple global changes to multiple files in a matter of a few
seconds.

While we do use this program heavily, as I mentioned, it only does change
invisible, not change verify. (I've had limited need for change verify,
and didn't feel like investing the time to tackle writing the code.) So,
I'm excited about having a look at Minitrue, since it has the ability to
(also) do change verify in multiple files. Thanks to Russ et. al. for
bringing it to our attention.

BTW, in case anyone's interested in the XyWrite macro I described, it's
attached (4K). As I indicated, you just run the program in any directory,
then pick-and-choose the files you want involved. (It uses windows 1 &2;
if any file is open in those windows, the program ABorts it.) The program
guides you through everything. I wrote it to run in Xy3; if you run it in
Xy4 you may encounter some pauses due to the default setting for ABorting
a file, but otherwise I believe it should work.

Timothy Olson
Editorial/Technical Assistant
Tyndale House Publishers
(630) 668-8310