Re: OT: Hand-me-down Thinkpad is down for the count (?)

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> That sounds like an ancient Compaq laptop I have.
> The dealer
> warned me there was no warranty on the battery, and
> indeed it
> would not charge. So I got a new one. (The
> appropriate model.)
> Started charging, registered 98% charged for three
> days, and when
> I unplugged it, immediately reported "Battery run
> down, save your
> work." Runs OK off the mains though, with no battery
> in, unlike
> your Tpad. It appears as if the current-sensing,
> battery-charging
> circuitry in laptops is prone to flakiness.
> --

Well, that's just one of the reasons I find these
things a dubious investment, even if you buy one new
with a warranty. In response to a question (from
Harry, I think), a bit more Googling seems to have
identified a power _board_ internal part for this
laptop; a dealer was offering one for $39. (I'd say
that would be worth it, if indeed this proved to be
the fix.) But I also found some online grousing about
substandard replacement (not OEM) parts. Too many of
the parts prices (e.g., a new screen, or a $90.
battery) make this a not terribly economical choice,
vs. buying whole used laptops of the same model and
cannibalizing them for parts. If it has a 20 - 40G.
hard drive in decent condition, you've quite possibly
already beaten the 'just get that part' option.

I will check out those recommended TP forums next.

 Jordan