From: John Negus [mailto:johnanegus@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 11:50 PM
To: Xywrite list
Subject: Re: Insert/Overstrike Indication

Brian Henderson wrote:

> I'm using Xy3 and not too long ago my cursor stopped changing shape to
> indicate that I'd switched to overstrike mode...I'd really like to get that
> function back. Anybody know how? I haven't been able to find any
> documentation on it.

In my startup.int is the line:

  bc d it=519,1543,8193,264,1792,8193,1543,1

which, if I remember right, became necessary when I moved to an AT with an EGA screen or something.

This isn't documented in the manual - it became necessary long after it was printed.  But in one of the readme files I found:

_____________
On some hardware configurations, you need to define values in order to make your cursor visible in XyWrite and in DOS.  You use the DEFAULT IT (Insert Cursor Type) command to define these cursor values, which are passed to the interrupt routine.

The IT command takes eight arguments. The first three define cursor values for the current EGA mode (25-line or 43-line). Within this set of three, the first value defines the cursor for insert mode; the second defines the cursor for overstrike mode; and the last value, which is always 8193, defines the cursor off mode.

The next set of three numbers defines cursor values for the alternate EGA mode, in the same order described above.

The seventh argument defines the cursor value for DOS; and the final argument, which is always 1, is the value used when EGA emulation is off.

If you have no trouble seeing your cursor after you have loaded XyWrite, you don't need to use the IT command. We have identified several hardware configurations that do need an IT command. Those configurations and the appropriate IT values are listed below.

COLOR MONITOR WITH AN EGA CARD
 DEFAULT IT=519,1543,8193,264,1792,8193,1543,1

HEWLETT PACKARD VECTRA RS/20 WITH AN HP VGA CARD
 DEFAULT IT=1037,3085,8193,264,1543,8193,0,1

IBM XT/286 WITH AN IBM EGA CARD
 DEFAULT IT=1037,1543,8193,264,1543,8193,1037,1

Default Value.  The default setting for the IT command is:
 DEFAULT IT=1037,3085,8193,264,1792,8193,0,1

NOTE: The above examples are based on 25-line EGA mode.  If you are in 43-line EGA mode when you use the IT command, reverse the order of the current and alternate values.

Don't know if that'll help.

A propos of nothing, one thing I bless Xy for, and curse all the rest, is the conditional overwrite feature (I forget XyQuest's term for it).  So simple and so powerful ..  Does anyone know of any Windows software which has anything similar?

John