Re: NW=?? in settings.dfl

Paul Ambos wrote:

> According to manuals and experiments your item "1" is possible via the > NW default only with settings of 1 or 2 (and not with 0 or 3), and your > item "2" only with a setting of 3 (and not 0 or 1 or 2).

Yes. I should have made this explicit. Thank you.

> Is it possible that on the old computer you are somehow storing files > with a key combination that both stores the file and executes a remove > screen (RS or RMVSCR) command, either in the keyboard file or otherwise?

This does seem to be what is happening, but I can't figure
out how to search the old computer to find what makes this
happen.

What would I be looking for in the keyboard file?

The only other things I can think of are:

[a] an ST  command that closes the window on the old
computer without resorting to NW=3 came on the original
Xydos disks, and if so, what would I search for on those
disks? (I used the same disks to set up XYdos on the current
computer and have no memory of this problem occuring at the
beginning, but then at the beginning I was tearing my hair
out over Microsoft problems, compared to which this is less
than a trifle.)

[b] if I am right that what I want is on the XyDos disks,
and was originally available on both computers, what
modifications have I made that could have caused the change?
Something in settings.dfl? My startup.int is slightly
different. I've done things with memory. I can't begin to
remember what I've done, but something here might ring a
bell in a mroe sophisticated head.

> If not, then you could assign "BC,s,t,XC,BC,r,s,XC" (or using BX-Q2 with > parentheses) to a convenient key and accomplish what you want with a NW > setting of 1 (which would also automatically close the window on an > ABort) or 2 (which would not).

I'll probably wind up doing this, but at the moment I seem
to be stubbornly insisting that if my old computer could do
it without adding anything then my current computer can damn
well do it too!