Re: XPL query

Reply to note from "morris krok"  Wed, 24 Nov
2004 09:47:33 +0200

> I am interested to know what the codes below mean and how are
> some of them are produced - namely those involved in searching.

The first block of code is nonsensical -- nothing I wrote.

The only SEarch "code" I see in your examples is the 3-byte carriage
return (CrLf) symbol, produced by executing func WC. (As I recall,
func WC is broken in Xy3, but it works in Xy4 and later.) You need
it to SEarch for CrLf's in Xy4, since it's not possible to put a
real CrLf on the CMline. Also works in BX SEarch commands.

> What is the proper use of (;*;)

;*; is the comment symbol, introduced with Signature and Xy4.
Everything from this symbol through the next carriage return is
treated as a comment (ignored, not executed). Use it to add
comments to your code and make it more readable; for example:

BX es 1Q2 ;*; Toggle error suppression on

Notably -- and unlike comments embedded in LaBels -- little or no
overhead attaches to these comments. You can sprinkle them
liberally throughout your programs without slowing them down. A
vital addition to the language.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx