Re: vDos and NB

Unrelated, except that both run on 64bit Win 7.
These are actually completely unrelated problems, right Harry ? The way you titled and presented this, it almost sounds like you were running these two things together (what does vDOS have to do with NB, unless it's the old DOS NB ?), but that seems highly unlikely.

 Jordan

From: Harry Binswanger
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:36 PM
Subject: vDos and NB

Have spent a few hours working with vDos. It's slick, BUT it has problems
with the keyboard file.

First, it wouldn't recognize any alphabetic keys unless they were shifted
(ctrl or alt came out as plain, couldn't get the ctrl and alt key tables at
all). Then, on an inspiration, changed the designations ALTX and CTRLX back
to ALT and CTRL. That solved about 2/3 of the problems. But many remain.
IDKEY.PM won't run right and you can't get out of it, because "e" (for exit
pm) isn't recognized. Judging by what was on the prompt line, it was
reading the unshifted keys as ANSI or something. The scan codes were in the
10s of thousands.

Same problem with the stock XY4.KBD from the "factory."

So then I tried the latest beta (20) from Notabene. And the U2 won't run
right. Often, when I load I get:
"file is missing {{"

My file has 803 {{ and 803 }} so they are balanced. I tried loading a U2
with nothing but text in it, and got the same error message. I've seen this
before on earlier betas. I recall trying a U2 with one dead simple
{{5test}} and got the same error message.

I also couldn't tell what path I was logged into. The filename is shown,
but not the path. Irritating. Otherwise NB 10 beta 20 looks promising.

--Harry