Re: Off topic (Win2K stability)

Hi Robert,

You never replied to my reply of 10/31, and I'm still interested to
learn of the method you used to dispense with the Logon Password for
your W2K partitions, especially if it was something _other than_ the
automatic Password entry that can be arranged in the Net I.D. Wizard.

I am still locked out of my main W2K partition. The utility I
mentioned, from

looked like it was doing the job, but whatever it did (over repeated
attempts) yielded NO results. I have since nuked that partition a few
times, put the last partition image (from early 10/03) back on a
couple times, then instead put on a year old image, and the results
remain the same. Based on this experience, I too have come to loathe
passwords. The fact that I am still locked out leads me to wonder if
the NT Boot Loader files -- despite always having standard file dates
of 7/26/00 -- might not contain some kind of encrypted reference to
the Admin Passwords. At this point, I don't see what else it could
be. I'm going to go through the tedious process of recreating the NT
loader files from scratch, via the Repair process in Setup, and see
what that does. It's more tedious, because it seems that for some
reason I can no longer boot from the W2K install CD (other bootable
CDs still work), so I have to go through the 4 diskette set, which
takes forever. Of course, this procedure will kill OS/2 Boot Mgr. yet
again, so I'll have to replace that also. Fun, fun, fun.

Also, to repeat something else I asked about before, I'd still like to
hear if *anyone* has *ever* demonstrated any practical use for the
so-called MS Recovery Console. From what I've seen of it in action, a
more apt name for it would be the "MS Funeral Wreath."

Jordan