Re: TTG. . .You Win! I Admit It!

Mr. Campbell--

I read your message this morning several times. I have asked
technical support to look at it as well, but I must admit it
took me quite some time to separate the sarcasm from the issues.
 When you observed "[n]or will I even mention the audible
attitude shift after I mentioned my name to the tech and sales
desk..." I can only say that if this is typical of the way you
communicate with our people, I am not surprised.

It would be much more helpful to me, and I suspect it would get
you a more receptive ear from our staff, if you could deal with
us with the same level of respect you would like for yourself.

Nevertheless, at least several of your inquiries are easily dealt
with.  First, if you have been trying for over 4 years to get
your software working correctly I have no idea what program you
were working with. XyWrite 4.0 was not released until February,
1993, and Orbis was not released until the end of 1993.

As to your subtle inquiry "Why in the HELL does XyWrite demand
that it MUST go into Page-Line view when it encounters a table?"
the short answer is it doesn't. I created a 165k file with 2
columm tables in it. I had absolutely no trouble going from top
to bottom of file in Draft View. Of course the column tables do
not display in Draft view. My guess is something is incorrect
in your file, causing XyWrite to behave that way. That is
consistent with the "formatting command..." error message you are
getting.  Once XyWrite encounters an error, it attempts to place
your cursor at the point of the error, but for a number of
reasons it cannot always do that with precision. If you would
like to upload the file to us we would be happy to look at it.
I am not aware of any bugs related to this particular issue.

Your observation "How nonsensical of me to assume that you might
want to stabilize and continue to develop the DOS product..." is
way off the mark in my mind. The mere existence of Version
4.017 is clear evidence that we have continued to work on this
product, to respond to reported bugs, and to improve it where
possible. No, DOS is not our strategic direction, but I daresay
no other manufacturer continues to release maintenance upgrades
of its DOS product at all, much less 17 of them over a 2 1/2
year period.

Finally, as to Orbis, while the current version is not perfect,
many of our users make daily use of it and find it quite
serviceable. Again, if you have particular problems that are
not addressed by Tech Support, please let me know.

I hope this is helpful.

K.