Printer settings error

At the moment I have 3 printers set up under XY4. When I try to remove
one of them and then reload XY4 I get a "number is out of range" error
message. This appears to relate to the printer settings is
SETTINGS.DFL. There is a PP: setting which is currently 3. When I
remove a printer is reduces to two, but if I manually reset it to 3 in
the file then the message goes away. I have always imagined that the
PP: setting above the entries for the printers always referred to the
number of printers so changing it to 3 when there are only 2 must be
incorrect. Can anybody throw any light on this error and how to resolve
it without the logical inconsistency of setting the number of printers
incorrectly?

Thanks

Paul