Re: DOSiX hoax?

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> Forgive extending this non-Xy thread, but has anyone noticed that the
> "crime" Microsoft is accused of is *giving away* a browser? What is
> this--unfair gifts?

I couldn't agree more, Harry! There was a discussion of that very think on the
Lehrer News Hour last night, BTW.

This reminds me of Bugs Bunny and the briarpatch. Remember? Bugs wants to go
there in order to escape so he keeps telling Elmer Fudd (??) not to toss him
in there, so finally, of course, Elmer tosses in the ole Wascally Wabbitt who
immediately makes his getaway.

In this case, I would argue, the brairpatch=the web browser, and the getaway
is to keep being allowed to bundle _Office_ with new machines, thus squeezing
out Corel and Lotus's suites (like Uncle Max is also going to go out and by
the Corel suite when he has MsOffice bundled on his new Gateway he's just
ordered up--yeah right!).

It's so typical of our supercompent Dept of Justice with that rocket scientist
Janet Reno that they have not figured this out. All the media ever talk about
is the Internet the Internet the Internet. Last time I looked, most of the
real work was still being done in your word processor, spreadsheet, and
database. Or am I really behind the times here?

> Okay, so technically, the "crime" is contracting with OEM's to include the
> gift with their installation of Win95. So what? I got the gift browser with
> my system, tried it out, and decided to use Netscape instead (as do 70% of
> Win users).
> I'm a Netscaper myself, as that is the package Columbia gives us, and I am
very pleased with it.

> Cheers,
> --
Leslie Bialler