Re: A wild new idea for the future of XyWrite

Hello,

I have run XyWrite products on Virtual PC 2007 for a long time, and I
think it gives the best virtualized overall performance of any solution
available. The downside is a more difficult installation than with
vDos-lfn and lesser integration with the host system. MS Virtual PC 2007
is an update of the Connectix product, the main developers remained the
same, and the product runs much better than the Connectix versions. So,
if you want to build virtual machines with Virtual PC, upgrade to
Virtual PC 2007. There are lots of links and downloads related to this
on my site, see: http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/utility.html.

Personally, I prefer Virtual PC 2007 with VPC 2004 DOS Additions
(http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/dosadd.zip) and DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 on
top of it. I run XyWrite products in the Win 3.1 DOS boxes provided by
Win 3.1, which gives multitasking and the most compatible environment
for DOS programs. Of course, DOS 5 will do the trick as well. And you
can use Win 98 SE if you will in Virtual PC 2007, and in this case the
Virtual Machine Additions are included with Virtual PC 2007 (you do not
need VPC 2004 DOS Additions as with DOS and Win 3.1).

Running legacy on legacy hardware is the royal way, but you can achieve
very good results by virtualization, and with clipboard support and
seamless host-to-guest integration, it is much more convenient to use
solutions like vDos-lfn.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)