Re: Word conversion of XyWrite files?

There's yet another method of using XyWrite files in Word--one that
bypasses any third-party translation program. You simply call up the
XyWrite file directly in Word. In the FileOpen dialog box, make sure the
box for "Confirm Conversions" is checked. Then when you try to open the
file a "Convert from" dialog box will open. Choose "Text only" and click
OK. If you want to save the Xy file as a Word file and still keep the
original, you'll need to save the Word version of the file under a
different name. If the file doesn't have any embedded codes, there's no
problem (although you may want to delete the end of file character); but
if there are embedded codes, some cleanup will be involved. It's a pretty
straightforward process to write a macro to do the cleanup. Actually, I
have already written such a macro for our company--our Editorial dept
uses Xy and the rest of the company is on Word. It's much simpler to just
give them Xy files and expect them to run the macro than it is to run
around converting and/or exporting. I would be happy to send the macro
(or the text of the code) to anyone interested (free, of course).

Timothy Olson
Editorial/Technical Assistant
Tyndale House Publishers
(630) 668-8310