Re: Xy4 on Win 8 /VMware / Win2K

On 31/1/14 11:03 PM, Bill Troop wrote:
> Ah. I should have made it clearer, Harry. The only internet access
> I am losing is that to the W2K machine, which I don't want because
> it is virtually impossible to protect adequately anyway. My
> internet access to Win 8 is untouched.

Disambiguation: If you want access to the w2k machine from other
machines on your LAN, the word is "intrAnet" access; "IntERnet" access
means beyond your LAN-router to other networks on the www.

I doubt anyone is still actively writing malware specifically
targeting w2k, but any number of exploits still out there could
compromise a w2k machine. It is best practice these days to prevent
any Internet access to w2k machines.

It is fairly easy to allow intranet access to a w2k machine while
preventing Internet access. If you need help with this, contact me
off-list.
Cheers,