Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

In a message dated 4/3/06 11:57:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, nbauman@xxxxxxxx writes:
It's simple, it gets the job done, it saves
time, and I think they're cheaper now. But for Lynn and me, there's the
problem of getting it working with Win98.

Norman
    And that sums up a long-range problem.
    Everyone I work for uses Win 2k or XP. I interact with them in Windows programs, although I take notes and write in Xywrite. I also do a lot of research online, which has its own technological demands. Eventually, I'll need more up-to-date technology.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. You've given me a lot to think about.
    I'm very tempted by the idea of a Porsche hard drive, but I suspect that my best long-term option may be to get a second computer with Win 2000 or XP. From what Michael says, it's possible to get a crisp Xywrite screen with TAME.
    Failing that, I could network the two computers, as Patricia suggests. I have the space, assuming they don't have to be in the same room. (I'm not so sure about the electrical circuits; I live in a pre-War building.)
    Patricia says Win2k seems to perform better with Xywrite. Does anyone else on the list have experience with both and prefer XP?
    Lynn