Search/Replace Func Characters?

I don't recall seeing this discussed before (probably because it's such a
ridiculous question), but can the function characters (BX, XC, XD, etc) be
searched/replaced in any way?

I've written a program to translate XPL into an HTML file that's a verbal
description of what any particular macro does. The only thing I can't do
(within Xy) is change BC into something that doesn't look like ÿ?. I can do
it with Perl, but I'd rather do it all with one program if I can.

My guess is, of course, that it can't be done...but I had to ask.

-Brian H