Re: CLIP Woes

Michael wrote:

1. Checking first my new U2 installation. Question, instructions say to put KMD.EXE in the *first* directory in the path. For me that's actually a kind of distant subdirectory: C:\PROGRAM FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS......

I don't follow what you mean a) by a "distant" subdirectory. Deep down, hierarchically? b) you do realize, don't you that the first directory on the path you list is just C:\PROGRAM FILES\THINKPAD\UTILITIES ? And that's only 3 nodes down from your root directory. BTW, you could always just put kmd.exe in your root, then preface the above path with C:\;

In short, I don't get what the problem is on your (1.).

ACTION: When I highlight text and copy (wc) it, I get the message *Clipped XX bytes* and then the dreaded double cursor, a blinking underscore, appears two lines below wherever  I clip, and the blinking cursor persists throughout the XY session. When I try to paste, I get two messages, one at the point of insertion that flashes on the screen for a millisecond and begins *Input error....* and another error message on the command line: *Awaitfile C: Xy\CLIP.TXT:   Timeout in xx seconds.*

It never hurts to ask a stupid question: you do allow it enough time to work, right? Because it can take a few seconds on my system, and more for longer pasting.

Second, is the file CLIP.TXT being created? Is it there? Also, Robert gave me a 9-step test procedure to do all this outside of Xy at a non-Xy-shelled-out-to C: prompt. See his message from Sept. 2nd:
http://xywrite.org/msg01138.htm; eudora="autourl">http://xywrite.org/msg01138.htm

That should be your next step.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx