Xy4 and Hex 1a

that internally made heavy use of Hex 1A

I vaguely remember Leading Edge. But the hex 1a
thing can be overcome in Xy4 by invoking on the
command line "d 1a=1" (or is it d 1a=0? One of them
is the default, and allows 1a to act as end of file; the
other treats 1a as a character; I don't think Xy3
can do this); I use this rather a lot to look through
Quark and Pagemaker files, and other stuff. You
will normally want to be in expanded view for this kind of thing. With expanded view and d 1a set right, I think you can view any type of file in XyWrite.