The Put

** Reply to message from Wolfgang Bechstein  on Wed,
18 Dec 2002 01:02:09 +1100

> Still, while we're fishing for odd expressions, is "put" really a noun?
>
> http://xywrite.org/msg01105.htm

Of course. Many different legitimate noun forms of PUT. A putt in golf is, or
was, actually a "put". A "put" is also a dumbbell. A stock option. The
discus is "put". A Jewish marriage contract. (Naw, I made that last one up --
sounds good though.)

The specific use cited may, or may not, be authorized in dictionaries, but it
certainly seems legit to me. In text handling, you get strings, and you put
strings (read & write). Doing it, e.g. the place in code where it happens, is
the get or the put. "Don't do the put yet." Sounds right, feels right, is
right -- forthwith.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx