Re: SmartWords

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:20:43 +0800 (SST)

>>While this release is 16 bit (which can run in
>>any Windows environment) we have converted may
>>of the internal structures to 32 bit providing increased
>>capacities.

> Will this run in OS/2?

NotaBene for Windows runs under OS/2-WIN, so SmartWords will run under it too
(they're the same thing, I would imagine -- clearly the SmartWords engine is
under the NB hood -- I've been running NBWin for months under OS/2).

However, if I were a prudent user, I'd wait just a while to see whether SW
passes some basic tests, before I invested -- not $14.95, which is certainly
reasonable, but the learning-curve time and energy associated with any new,
ultra-complex product. It isn't really fair to comment on beta products
publicly, and that's what NBWin is at this stage; but suffice to say it is
buggy. And SW is going to be "beta", period, which isn't encouraging.
Neither is there any assurance that problems will be fixed. So it's hard to be
sanguine about it. But: wait and see, I guess. "Benefit of the doubt" and all
that. Erickson is, after all, a perfectionist. Still: It's ABSOLUTELY
INCREDIBLE to me that nobody here (to my knowledge) had an opportunity to test
this thing before it was finalized. Bad habits never die; that's what XyQuest
did too: threw the product at some commercial users who did little to push it
to its limits or explore the edges.

Anyway, here's hoping for the best...

---------
Robert Holmgren