Re: Parallel Universe No, DosBox yes

Hi Lisa,
I'm sorry that you had such a challenging time with your transition to the Mac and using Parallels.

On May 3, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Lisa Kleinholz wrote:

The best part is that I can save both to the hard drive and to USB
floppy disk drive and instantly find both under Mac and Dos with Xy
running.

Accessing the floppy involves "mounting". When disc is put into USB
floppy drive, open dosbox and under z: prompt type:

mount a /volumes/untitled

[or whatever title you give the floppy disk you're using]
I can move files from my flashdrive and CDs into the dos folders (which
are found in Finder, under my user name) for access from XyWrite.

I'm glad that you were able to get this to work.

My only question: If you can do this in DOSBOX why won't Parallels
folks make it this easy in Parallels?
After you had reported your problem with gaining access to shared
folders when using Parallels, i started looking at some of the other
emulation products, with the hope that they might offer Shared Folder
support for DOS users. I wasn't able to find anything that would do
this for the DOS users.
My guess is that their focus is on getting Windows users to use their
products, as they think there are more of those. Also, Windows
provides this sort of internal accessibility by default, so there is
no extra work needed.
I guess that the reason the VPC offers this is that it came along
before Windows when there were still more DOS users, but this is just
a guess.

I hope that everything is working well for you!

Russ