Whatsamatter with XyWin?

> xyWin is even flakier

I see comments like this fairly often in this mailing list, and they
tend to leave me scratching my head. I've used XyWin to write my last
four novels, and the only problem that comes readily to mind is a
slight twitchiness in text selection by mouse (Ami Pro, for instance,
is more precise). Maybe I've just adjusted to the "flaky" aspects of
XyWin without becoming aware of them as flaws/bugs/weaknesses/quirks.
But I wonder how much of the anti-XyWin feeling is actually anti-Win
feeling.

I'd be very curious if those of you who feel that XyWin is subpar Xy
would enumerate some of the specific problems you see with it. I
upgraded to it primarily as a form of insurance against obsolescence
where printer support was concerned, but liked it well enough that I
stopped using XyIII+ as soon as I upgraded my portable from an 8088C
to 486-class. I use Ami Pro for DTP-type tasks and my correspondence,
and keep WordPerfect and Word on my machine as file viewers, but have
never seriously considered using one of them as my primary WP--nor
have I ever seriously considered going back to XyIII+.

Best,

    K-Mac

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET