XPL in Xy4 [was RE: Nota Bene]

Reply to note from Jay McNally  Tue, 21 Aug 2001
10:38:39 -0400

> > I'm pleased (more or less) w/ XyWrite 4 (although bemoan the
> > fact that I lost some xpl capability in the upgrade from III+)
>
> I'm puzzled, Jay. What, exactly, is the XPL capability you
> feel you've lost?

An off-list note from Jay confirms that these supposedly "lost"
capabilities are still available. One of the programs he mourns --
the keystroke recording/editing facility known as CAPTURE.PM and,
later, as NCAPTURE.PM -- was resurrected last year as a Jumbo U2
routine called RKOK. Command HELP RKOK to see the Help
screen (reproduced below).

To state that most XPL commands work as before is not to deny that
certain routines, especially complex ones, will require tweaking for
use in Xy4|XyWin|NBWin. In some cases it makes more sense to start
from scratch, to take advantage of new functionality. So it was
with RKOK, which harnesses the keystroke-recording facility that
made its debut in Signature and Xy4.

-----
RKOK: Save|Append|Edit|Fix|Load|eXecute|Clear Recorded_Keystrokes
RJH 6/8/00
All Purpose Record-Keystrokes (RK) Utility

RKOK does everything but record keystroke macros; for that, you need
a KBD assignment, e.g. "nn=XHRK".

Usage:
-----
RKOK A|C|E|F|L|S|X
S Save recorded keystrokes to reserved filename RKOK.SAV, located in
the same directory as Editor. Any existing RKOK.SAV is deleted and
recreated
A Append recorded keystrokes to RKOK.SAV (if RKOK.SAV doesn't exist,
it is created). If RKOK.SAV is currently open in any window, it is
displayed in refreshed form
E CALL|GOFILE RKOK.SAV and Edit keystroke code
F Fix keystroke code saved in RKOK.SAV: repair buggy carriage
returns (a near-fatal flaw in the native code), remove extraneous
functions, etc. RKOK.SAV is displayed
L Load keystroke code to a Save/Get in range 0-9, A-Z, &0-&9, &A-&Z,
100-1999. If RKOK.SAV exists, Load it; otherwise Load any existing
RK buffer code (to Load on S/Gs &0-&9|&A-&Z only, RKOK.SAV must
exist, i.e. "S"ave it first)
X eXecute keystroke code. If RKOK.SAV exists, RUN it; otherwise
execute any existing RK buffer keystrokes
C Clear RKOK.SAV and the RK buffer. Before clearing, you may
optionally save either RKOK.SAV (if exists) or the RK buffer to
another (permanent) filename.
-----

--
Carl Distefano