Re: XySearch -- Status Report

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Fri, 13 Dec 2002
10:41:52 -0800

Jordan:

> > so I'd like to indicate which material we're still requesting:
> >    STILL MISSING:
> >   ----- -------
> >   XyQuest Information Line/XyQuest Exchange BBS
> > (aka XyWrite Information Line/XyWrite Exchange):
> >     any and all messages, but especially message
> >     numbers 1 through 8487, from 1989-1993
> >   Word Processing BBS (SysOp: Henry Kisor):
> >   Compuserve

> I'm struggling to remember just what the presence was on CIS.
> Possibly some occasional threads in a _general_ word-proc. forum ?

I'm struggling too. My recollection is that there was an overarching forum
called IBMAPP, and then beneath that a Word Processing section (Section 2 I
think), within which discussion of XyWrite was very frequent, almost dominant.

Maybe an academic member of this list has a Lexus Nexis account?

> Are you going to compartmentalize a lot of these things ?

In what sense? They are separated chronologically, and by source.

> It's not
> all created equal, and a lot of it is strictly Xy-3 stuff -- maybe not
> even 3+. The era and venue is relevant info

Can be relevant. Often isn't, though. After all, nothing much has changed in
Editor during the last decade. I have no objection to the inclusion of 3+
stuff -- do you?

>>   RelayNet
>>   RIME
>>   Wicked Scherzo local WP forum

> This is a case of multiple personality. I'm pretty sure that RIME was
> simply the formal name for RelayNet.

RelayNet International Message Exchange, aka NelayRet for no reason. WS had,
as I recall, in addition to carrying RelayNet, a local-caller-only forum too,
which was often interesting. BB et.al

> The Wicked Scherzo happened to
> be one of the most prominent L.A. area BBS's that joined RelayNet,
> *and* happened to carry a XyWrite forum, which probably the vast
> majority of the RelayNet members did not.

But it wasn't really happenstance, was it? Because WS was one of two sites
that catered exclusively to professional writers, especially Hollywood writers.
You even had to have some credentials, IIRC, to get a handle. Kisor was the
other writers-only place. I don't know of any others.

> Wait a minute -- didn't the Xy BBS move *to* Billerica from somewhere
> else ? In which case it would not be the start date. Or did it move
> somewhere else *after* Billerica ?

Baltimore

>> You have Word Processing BBS (Kisor)?
> Yes, more of that than the others.
>> How about Wicked Scherzo maybe??????
> Should be quite a bit of that too, but subject to the caveats mentioned earlier.

Well, those two are the top priorities, for the reason mentioned above.
Wonderful news, Jordan. You'll have plenty of free time this evening, right
after dinner...  [loath though I am to EVER use that dumb  thing]

Have any early Billerica msgs, say pre-1993?

> (Did you know that Britt Hume was a XyWriter, at least back in the
> day?)

The pre Fox-flack day?

> Now that it's done, I wish we could borrow your search engine for
> use on the OS/2 Help List I subscribe to

My intent, in fact, is to pull everything together, then slap it onto
ready-to-run self-executing CDs: XySearch-on-CD. Although you'd probably have
to install Perl locally...

Thanks for digging into this.

R.

Robert Holmgren