From: J. R. Fox [mailto:jr_fox@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 12:15 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Pre-Xy

Some Win shennanigans may well put the kibosh on what I'm about to say, but this *ought to* be under the control of your email software. For example, I happen to be typing this in the email client of Netscape Communicator.  The very small type in Marguerite's message -- to which I'm replying -- is a dead giveaway that non plain-ASCII is in force here.  Another is that the field I'm now typing in is showing up BOLD, when I never asked for bold.  If the "blank" area in which you happen to be typing is turning out some strange font, or red or blue text, for example, like that in the source message or quotes therefrom, that would be another tipoff.  (I suppose it's like turning on some attribute in Xy.  You can see the *result*, but you won't see the actual formatting codes generating it, until you look in Expanded

Mode.)

However, I've set the Mail Client up to default to plain text. Furthermore, I've checked the box that says "Warn Me if Sending Anything Else."  So, with any such outbound message, like this one, that screen will come up first, and I'll check the box for "Send in Plain ASCII Only."  (And my OS does not impose any funny gamesmanship, so that won't be a factor.)  So, you should be reading this post, quotes and all, in the default Ascii text, which I would guess has to be something like the generic 10 point Courier.  Let me know if you see it any other way, but I'm rather confident you won't.

The controls in *your* email software will of course be different, but hopefully they do exist in some fashion, somewhere.

Jordan