Re: XyWrite hangs on quitting.

Reply to note from "Michael Edwards"  Thu, 6 Sep
2001 05:59:03 +1000

> When I try to quit [XyWrite], the program seems to hang, and
> just does nothing, leaving a blank blue screen. ... it does
> appear that the cause has to do with whether the DOS screen I
> start XyWrite from is in 25-line mode or 50-line mode. I
> normally use the latter, but that's the one that appears more
> likely to be associated with the problem.

You need to make sure that your XyWrite screen length (SL) setting
matches your DOS setting. The same goes for screen width (SW) if
you tinker with that.

You don't say which version of XyWrite you're using, but the
procedure is basically the same for any version. If you're in 50-
line mode, go the Xy command line and execute D SL=50. (That's F5
to blank the command line, D, space, SL=50, and F9 to execute.) If
you change your DOS setting back to 25 lines, command D SL=25.

The factory default is 25. If you want to make 50 your personal
default, you'll have to modify STARTUP.INT or your printer file (or
SETTINGS.DFL if you're running Xy4). If you toggle screen lengths a
lot, you may want to set up a little XPL routine that keeps the DOS
and Xy settings synchronized. If you need help doing any of this,
let me know.

> Is using Windows 95 the problem? I am aware that many on this
> list use XyWrite with Windows, but I wonder whether it would
> really be better to use a proper DOS for it, not the pseudo-DOS
> that comes with Windows.

Actually, Win95 *is* real DOS. What it *isn't* is a real (pre-
emptive) multitasking OS. It's NT, I think, that has a DOS
"implementation" or emulation. For what it's worth, I've never had
any problem running XyDOS under either 95 or NT. NT4, in
particular, despite a few quirks in the advanced file system (NTFS),
is a very stable platform for Xy.

Anyway, adjusting your SL setting should do the trick.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx