Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 11:16 AM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Xy4 - OS options

The more I use Linux the more I enjoy it. The learning curve was only
real downside, but now that that's over, the payoff is knowing you're
using the tools of artificial intelligence -- tools that unite a
hobbyist's zeal with an engineer's rigor -- in the most sensible way
devised, and robustly, and economically, and safely. If my hard drive
goes south, I'll be back up and running in an hour.

As far as full-screen XyWrite goes

1) there were three or four key assignments that I've had to rework, and
it was a bit of work finding a font I really like. (I never used
Ultravision and I suspect it doesn't work under dosemu.)

2) So far I haven't devised a way to switch straight to a task from
within full-screen XyWrite -- I have to switch to windowed Xy to get to
the desktop, and then switch to the application. Then again, I am most
comfortable in what my dear wife calls my "black box of bitterness."

3) For the two or three applications I use that demand Windows, I open a
Virtual Box and boot XP.

-Rafe T.