Re: typestyle of punctuation

Again: the custom is probably (I'm guessing here) done originally
to avoid having a period or a comma surrounded by white space --
which, on an old-fashioned letter-press, would either punch a
hole in the printed-on paper or risk snapping off the tip of the
lead type-face because of concentrated pressure at that point.

George H Scithers of owlswick@xxxxxxxx