Re: TED--a Linux Xy-type editor?

Thank you very much. I will experiment.

--Bob Kubie

At 02:55 PM 8/19/2004, you wrote:
Robert H. Kubie wrote ≪[I] have never learned if there is a Windows equivalent to a DOS batch file. ≫ Well, first of all, DOS batch files work under Windows: You can write a batch file, create a shortcut to it on the desktop, and run it by double-clicking. (You may recall that a while back I was creating XyWrite programs to write the batch files to automatically update them.) You can even create a batch file to run a Windows application: start "c:\Program Files\whatever.exe"; the following switches can be entered before the fully qualified path of the app / m run minimized /max run maximized /r run restored /w wait until the other program exits to execute the next command in the batch file. Windows also has its own Windows Scripting Host (WSH), which can run VisualBasicScript or JavaScript files, which can be created with a plain text editor. Search the archives for WSH, because Robert Holmgren gave me some very good advice and examples of VBS scripts a while back (late Oct. early Nov. 2003). Much as I HATE to say anything good about MicroSquid, I have to say that I've been playing around with VBS since then, and am finding it really useful. Of course, BBBG thinks all you'd want to do with it is gussy up Web pages, so the docs don't tell you what you want to know if you're trying to do the kind of low-level stuff we used to use BAT files for, or want to push the envelope and do stuff that BAT files cannot. I was lucky enough to find a book that listed all the commands and functions (though hardly anything else); it's from O'Reilly (you know: all those computer books with Dover press pictures of animals, birds, or reptiles--no bugs, of course--on the covers), but it's over in the office right now, so I cannot recall the author or exact title. Is anyone else familiar with EditPad(http://www.editpadpro.com)? The freeware (well, he wants a picture postcard, but no cash) version, EditPad Classic, is a nice text editor, and apparently the full version is a programmer's editor with lots of hooks to programming languages. I have several times thought that the guy who writes this (a Hollander by the name of Jan Goyvaerts) might be just the person to port XyWrite to Linux or even to Win Native, could we just get the rights. Patricia