INDEX FILE ERROR

Getting a bizarre error. I tried to type a file and got the error: Unable to
creat index file. It also spun the a: drive, which has nothing to do with
anything! And yes indeed my DR is what it always has been, namely at the end of
a line in my startup.prn and it says dr=c:\temp
 Moreover I did a VA DR and got c:\temp. Moreover that's where it put the
print.tmp. Moreover it does this with a tys, and printing from a file rather
than from the screen. The culprit is having a footnote in the file. Since in
the past I have print%d many many many footnotes, this is odd. I can't seem
to find the problem. It is true that I haven't printed anything with a
footnote since 3.56 arrived. So, the central mystery is twofold: why is it
going to the a: at all; and why is it then failing (I tried it with a nice
empty (but formatted) diskette in a:).