Re: Zyindex ( non zywrite question)

Avrom,

I too used ZyIndex. However, after I moved to Windows 98 (in 1998), I
couldn't install it. I called tech support and they were no help. They're
still around, but I don't know if the new version works with XyWrite any
more, and I think it costs around $300.

I switched to dtSearch, which was a shareware clone of ZyIndex. I actually
spoke to David Thede, the programmer, and he said that he would include
XyWrite as one of the file types at my request.

When I got dtSearch Version 4.0, however, it didn't quite work like
ZyIndex. As best as I could figure out, dtSearch could only recognize file
types if they had an extension, and I used all different types of
extensions on XyWrite files. I wound up indexing XyWrite files as text
files, which works OK, except that dtSearch didn't hide (much less
recognize) the formatting codes as ZyIndex did. Still, I use it, and it
works pretty well, although not as elegantly as ZyIndex.

dtSearch is still around, and they have a web site, but I don't know if the
new version works as well as 4.0. Half the time, when I upgrade, I get into
trouble. You may be able to find an old shareware version of dtSearch on
the web; if not I can send you a copy either as an attached file or just
mail you a floppy disk, although it may have to wait until I have time to
find them. I may or may not have an extra copy of the manual.

Norman

At 10:24 PM 10/19/04 -0400, Avrom Fischer wrote:

>From: "Avrom Fischer"

>I had been using an indexing program for several years called Zyindex.
Zyindex created a concordance of all words in many different kinds of word
processor files such as Xywrite, Wordperfect, Wordstar, Word and Multimate
and many others which could than be searched using Boolean logic to locate
the file with the words you were looking for. While the indexing process
took hours, the search would only be a matter of seconds. Unfortunately the
disks from which I installed it are now old and the program no longer
installs. Does anyone have a suggestion where I could get a copy
preferably the last dos version or an early windows version or zyindex or
if it is no longer available where I could get a program which can index
Xywrite files and if possible Wordperfect for dos files and thereafter
search them using Boolean logic.  The current Zyindex does much more than
I need or want and is much too expensive.

>Avrom Fischer avromf@xxxxxxxx

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019