Re: NTVDM.exe has encountered a problem

Harry's comments below combined with the problem you are encountering
leads me to wonder if autosave itself is triggering the crashes.

Paul Breeze

On 21/03/2011 21:58, Harry Binswanger wrote:
Two ideas probably not that helpful:

Might be worth checking Processes (under Task Manager--ctrl-alt-del) to
see if multiple instance of NTVDM are running. You want to kill all of
them before re-launching.

Also, in SETTINGS.DFL, make your autosave times shorter--e.g.,
DF A0T=1,2

The first number is the minimum, the second is the maximum. The
Customization Guide says:"Xywrite starts counting from the time you make
an edit. AFter the minimum time has passed, XyWrite hecks to see if you
are typing. If you aren't, XyWrite saves the current file in
AUTOSAVn.TMP (where n is the current window number). If you are typing,
XyWrite waits until you pause or until the maximum amount of time has
elapsed before saving.

--Harry
I'm having a problem with one computer, using the same XY4 and (thank
you Michael Norman) TAME that I have been using lo these many years.

The computer is the ultra-mini Fujitsu U820 running the tablet edition
of XP Pro. My other computers all use (non-tablet) XP Pro. It's got a
decent processor for such a tiny thing, 1.6 Ghz, and .99G of RAM. (By
the way, I don't recommend it unless you have very tiny fingers and
good eyes.)

After a while--which may be 90 seconds or 7-8 minutes--I get the
message "NTVDM.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"
followed by the rest of Microsoft's boilerplate. No error number, no
memory location. Autosav*.tmp files don't have what I was working on
when I reopen XY4.

I cannot reliably set off the crash, though I have tried. It's often
after doing some web browsing (Firefox) but that may be a coincidence,
simply related to how much time I have had the XY window open.

I have tried it with and without TAME installed and have the same
behavior, and I prefer to keep TAME for its display improvements. TAME
doesn't seem to make any difference one way or another.

I realize the key to troubleshooting is to find the immediate trigger
for the crash, but I could use some step-by-step help in how to do
that. Opening (for instance) wireless networking doesn't immediately
cause a crash. Opening Firefox doesn't immediately cause a crash. But
sooner or later it crashes.

Any thoughts?

Jon Pareles

Harry Binswanger