Re: Linux

In a message dated 11/9/1999 12:06:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
SAH@xxxxxxxx writes:

> For those of you considering Linux: Get a package deal! Go with a
> distribution that has a good package management system, so that you don't
> have to worry about the details of installing and setting up your hardware.
I'
> ve heard that RedHat Linux is very satisfactory in this regard. Go to
Borders,
> or go to www.lsl.com,. and buy the $50 boxed set. It'll save you hours and
> hours and evenings and evenings. . . . (I've been using Debian Linux for
> nearly three years, also available at www.lsl.com. It has a package
> management system that is every bit the equal of Red Hat's ¯ some, of
course,
> would say it's better. I've been pretty happy with it. Those two
> distributions seem to be the most popular in America. SuSE is also widely
> used.) ¯ But if you're going to try Linux, be prepared to spend either (1)
> lot of time reading scattered online documentation, and/or (2) a lot of
money
> on books (publishing books with O'Reilly is how free software programmers
> seem to make a living).

This is what I've heard again and again, Shawn -- enough to believe every
word you say. I also understand that Corel is packaging a Linux installation
similar in some regards to what Red Hat has done, and that Corel's version is
even easier. Based on the same OS kernel as Red Hat's, just more attention to
the way it works with various configurations. I'm looking seriously at both
Red Hat and Corel right now. I suppose I wouldn't try to piece together a
Linux system without much help, and Corel and Red Hat seem to offer exactly
the kind of help most of us will need.

Jeff Seager