Ellipsis Points, Part II

In the last couple months, I forwarded some questions
here from a friend, and received some welcome guidance
for her on the subject of ellipsis points, courtesy of
George Scithers, plus a bit from Harriet Hodges. I
have recently been given these follow-up questions,
which I hope will elicit some additional advice.

Jordan

I have been following his advice re Ellipsis Points.

He said re margins, 1" top, left side and bottom.
Indent the first line of every paragraph 5 spaces. Use
12-point, monospaced font, spaced every 24 points. I
don't know what a monospaced font is, nor spaced every
24 points.

I am using Windows Word, Ariel font, size 11.
Indenting first line of a paragraph 1/2" which is more
than his five spaces. Side margins are 0.7. Top and
bottom margins 0.7" plus header and footer 0.1". Left
and right margins 1".

A manuscript that was 465 pages single spaced grew to
742 pages at 1 1/2" spacing. I can't believe that with
my font he means double spacing.

Your correspondent is a Xy user and may not know the
answer to this next question. I started this Ms in
1986 and have worked on it over the years using WORD
which I was not too familiar with back then. Over time
the indent in the first line of a paragraph was not
always the same and I have been correcting it as I go
along. I wonder if there is a mass correction that
would standardize it to whatever correct spacing for
my font is? Should I change the font?

I noticed that Harriet Hodges said that Commas are
always omitted before ellipses. Is there a global
search and replace in WORD to find whose commas? I
liked what George Scithers said about leaving the
commas in if it makes the sentence clearer.

One last question regards Quotes. My Manuscript is a
Memoir, basically letters, and this will not be a
scholarly work. Possibly it will be self published. I
have been using Quotes at the beginning of every
paragraph within the letters. I am making comments and
including extra material between letters which
obviously do no have quotation marks. Occasional
comments are put within letters using these brackets [
 ] to indicate them. Does this make sense? I am trying
to be consistant in whatever I do even if it is not
absolutely correct.

Many thanks,