Re: Curious behavior of two shifting keys

At 09:14 PM 9/27/98 -0400, Daniel L. De Hainaut wrote:
>Robert,
>
>I'm jumping in late and you may have solved your problem already, but if
>not don't rule out some peculiarity of the keyboard itself.
>
>I use an old OmniKey 101 at work and there are some multi-shift key
>combinations (ctrl+shift+B, for one) that never get through.
>Ctrl+Alt+(number pad numeral) for entering special characters by Xy
>character code is unreliable--fine on some numbers, hopeless on others.
>
>At home, with an OmniKey 102 (the one with the DIP switch under the OmniKey
>emblem in the upper left corner of the keyboard) things seem to work fine.
>Of what era is your Ultra?

Dan,

Just posted a note saying that FixPak 8 took care of things for me.

Am an old curmudgeon myself. I have two OmniKey/ULTRAs--I think
they were brought out after the 101 and 102. Mine date from 1992 and 1993.
The Ctrl & Alt keys had been acting up on both keyboards in the same way.
Aside from those two keys, now fixed, the keyboards seem to show no signs
of aging.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of a keyboard to suggest how to
fix yours. Tapping sharply on the bottom and squirting air have been my only
approaches. Are there better ways?

Regards,

Robert Hemenway