Re: Expanded memory

Peter Evans wrote-

> Win98 tells us the version of DOS: 4.10. (You can confirm this by typing VER at the command line.)

Confusion abounds: Win98 comes with Dos4.10, but Win3.1 came
with DOS6.0? Can this be?

 > >This is my config sys:

 > In other words, it's blank. Incidentally, I take "*** DO
NOT EDIT THIS
 > FILE! ***" as an invitation to edit the file (e.g. delete
the obviously
 > superfluous parts) -- and I thought such an attitude was
normal for a Xy user.

Are you suggesting I carry out your recommendations in the
config.sys file and get rid of the config.tsh file?

> For Win98, I'd suggest:

> DOS=UMB,HIGH
> DEVICE=C:\WIN\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\WIN\EMM386.EXE [plus parameters]
> BUFFERS=40,0
> FILES=40

Did this in config.tsh, using only RAM for parameter. Xy
properties still says "The computer is not configured for
expanded memory, etc."

 NOTE: The problem is not error messages about memory while
 work. Rather I am trying to get expanded memory because the
 list consensus seems to be that it is necessary to run
 Xywrite at its best, and the lack thereof may be
responsible
 for things like the U2 glitch of last week.

> Adjust C:\WIN according to the location of these files (most likely
> C:\WINDOWS).

I keep reading this and not getting it. I don't even know
what question to ask.

> My own parameters for EMM386 happen to be RAM WIN=F500-F7FF
> WIN=F100-F4FF but for more about this you should see
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q78/5/57.asp

The site lists what to avoid, but doesn't seem to suggest
why I should choose one thing over another. Do you want to
share why you chose the above?

 By the way, when I restarted the computer, a line flashed
by
that said something to the effect that F076 is the upper
 limit UMB address. Is that significant?

 Thanks for your help
 Judith Davidsen