Re: Xy Win/macros, etc.

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 01:04:32AM +0000, Yo Intl. wrote:

> >The idea is you can put format commands in a style. Here's how, in case
> >you don't know:
> >
> >At the top of the file, say, enter within the chevrons ≪SS1,ip=5,0≫.
> >Then, at the first instance of an indented paragraph enter ≪US1≫. The
> >style will remain in place until you change it. Within the chevrons you
> >can add indents, centering, typefaces, margins, and modes.
> >Leslie Bialler
>
> OK, fine, but what is the difference between that and making a couple
> of small files containing all your format commands, say f1, f2, f3 and them
> simply merging them into your job whenever needed?
> As I said, I have been doing this even before XYwrite (with "dot commands"
> in WordStar), so I am sort of scratching my head... where is the beef?

I think, in terms of pure functionality there is little difference.

I difference, and why one would use styles in any package (whether it be a word
processor or a DTP system) is in the event that you want to change the look
across a buch of files, consistently. Then, if i understand your method,
you would have to go back in and re-merge the new files.

If the styles are handled properly, this is done easier.

fwiw,

Russ